Boundary Exceptions may be granted when a student is in dire circumstances and is presented with obstacles sufficient to impair success at the school in the attendance area in which the student’s parent or guardian resides. (Regulation 2510, paragraph 7)
The procedures below are generally the same in all cases.
- The parent, guardian or student submits a written request to the Director of Purchased Services & Enrollment Planning, Francis Howell School District on the Boundary Exception Request Form.
- The request is discussed with the parent, guardian and/or student to obtain additional information, as necessary.
- The situation/information is verified with appropriate professional personnel (school, medical, social, psychological).
- The case is reviewed on its own merit to determine: a) if dire circumstances exist; and, b) if changing schools will significantly improve the student(s)’s chance to succeed.
- A preliminary decision is made and discussed with the parent, guardian and/or student.
- A decision is communicated in writing to the parent, guardian and/or student.
When Boundary Exceptions are granted the following will apply.
- A periodic progress review will be conducted to ensure the student’s attendance, behavior and academic progress are acceptable to teachers, counselors and administrators. The boundary exception may be rescinded if any of the above criteria is not acceptable.
- Transportation will be the responsibility of the family. A student may go to the nearest bus stop that serves the school they will be attending. Schools are not required to issue a parking permit to students who are on boundary exceptions.
- Any high school student who is involved in athletics/activities and is granted a boundary exception or an inter-district transfers must meet the eligibility guidelines of the Missouri State High School Activities Association bylaw 238.0 Residence and Transfer Requirements. These guidelines state that any change in schools without a corresponding change of address will result in the student being ineligible to participate in varsity athletics for 365 days from the date of enrollment at the new school. The activities directors at your present and future schools should be contacted for assistance in determining eligibility before submitting transfer requests.