|Ask the Supt!
Do you have a question about Francis Howell? Ask the Supt!
Dear Parents and Staff,
As the 2013-14 school year draws to a close, I reflect with great pride and admiration on the work that has been done by our students, teachers, administrators, and staff in making our mission of “Preparing Students Today for Success Tomorrow” a reality. Of course, none of our successes would have been possible without the cooperation and contributions of our parents and community at large. We value our partnerships with our families; we don’t take those for granted.
The year began with significant and unexpected challenges; however, we met those with a determination to make the year successful, nonetheless. Despite our rocky start, we had a great year. Below is our quarterly update on some major work completed during fourth quarter:
• Administered ACT test for ALL high school juniors
• Increased End of Course scores in English, Math, and Social Studies
• Found 92% of first and second year teachers reporting their mentor experience as good or excellent
• Held Classroom Instruction that Works training with author Dr. BJ Stone for almost 300 teachers
• Developed new curriculum for over twenty courses with technology integration in each
• Wrote bio-medical curriculum to be offered in 2014-15
• Began keyboarding for third graders
• Increased enrollment in Advanced Placement (AP) courses by 322 students
• Increased the number of AP tests taken by 14.3%
• Recognized Missouri Presidential Scholar, Eric Lee (1 of 3 in state; 1 of 141 in country)
• Held the Centennial Parade to kickoff school District’s 100th birthday celebration
• Awarded Community Builder Award by Community Council of St. Charles for work with fragile families
• Inducted 11 people into the Howell Hall of Fame
• Hosted successful community electronics recycle event with nearly 80,000 lbs. recycled
• Completed the baseball/softball/activities complex at FHHS
• Completed installation of solar panels on five District buildings
• Began design of baseball and band practice field upgrades at FHN
• Installed additional access control systems and updated intercom systems in District buildings
• Completed the rebid process for food service management company; contract awarded to Sodexo
• Completed development of FY15 budget scheduled for approval at the June 19 Board meeting
• Completed negotiations with all employee groups
• Chose a new teacher evaluation tool for implementation in 2014-15 school year
• Found that 100% of principals agreed or strongly agreed that their teaching staff meets the learning needs of students in their building
• Updated all teacher and administrator technology
• Improved data backups for District data
• Initiated development of Identity access system, allowing students and staff to access programs and systems with a single sign-on
As we wrap of the 2013-14 school year, I want to again thank our parents and community for helping to make the school year successful. As stated previously, we could not have had such a great year without your support, patience, and understanding. Many questions remain about unaccredited school districts and student transfers for the 2014-15 school year. We are closely monitoring the developments and the implications for our school district. We will provide updates as we have answers and direction.
Thank you for sending us your child(ren) each day. It is our pleasure to serve each of them. I wish all of our students and families a safe and relaxing summer.
Dr. Pam Sloan
Superintendent of Schools